Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hoosier Hospitality


Lafayette, IN
--Friends' cousins have been treating me well in Indiana. After a nice evening in Indianapolis I came up here, and here's quick update before I leave Lafayette. I spent another day here because the forecast called for lightening storms all day and riding my steel bicycle through soybean fields in a thunder storm didn't sound like it'd be the smartest thing I'd ever done. Rick and Paulette own a pair of frozen custard stores called Snowbear Frozen Custard. (Frozen custard, for those of you wondering, is kind of like super-creamy Midwestern ice cream. You can learn more at the site.) So on my rainy day off I hung out in the shop, eating fresh custard, drinking coffee and reading all of both the New York Times and Chicago Tribune. All you can eat frozen custard and two newspapers --can you imagine me being happier? The day before we did some sight-seeing around town and I looked around Purdue. And now I'm heading west again. Today I'll enter Illinois and even more exciting, Central Time.

No comments: