Monday, July 17, 2006

Corn Country

Sunset on the Mississippi
Fairfield, IA
-- Well, I've crossed the Mississippi. I'm not very far into Iowa, though. This morning I only rode about thirty miles before stopping for a snack here in Fairfield. I went to the Second Street Coffee House expecting a diner, but was served by a long-haired young man in a tie-dyed T-Shirt that reminded me more of Northampton than the Midwest. I got to talking to people and found out that the city is a center for the Transcendental Meditation movement, and home to the movement's university, the Maharishi University of Management. The movement's brought a lot of people into the area, apparently, and there's lots of art galleries and performances around. Maharishi U. with a Golden Meditation Dome in the BackgroundIn the words of several people I met today, "it's a pretty happening place." I got to talking to people, and soon enough the owner of the coffee shop took me vegetable shopping with her then steamed me some fresh-picked Iowa corn. With that in my stomach, I explored the University's campus, went to the whole foods store, and spent some time at the town library looking at the paper and Iowa history books.

Me on a tractorAside from that delicious sweet corn, though, the town barely felt like it was connected to all the corn and soybeans I had been passing. Back on the eastern side of the Mississippi, though, I stayed with two wonderful cyclists who were also farmers. In addition to taking me to a family gathering and a triathlon, and showing me around the area, they showed me the farm equipment and told me a bit about farming and marketing corn and beans. The marketing is a bigger part than I had understood, and I'm glad I know a bit more about it all as I head through more farm country.

It's been really, really, really hot -- at the worst points, I've been making thirty miles on a gallon of water. It's raining now, though, and I'm hoping things will cool down for my ride out of Fairfield tomorrow.

No comments: