Tuesday, August 15, 2006

FAQ

Stopping in a town
Harlowton, MT
-- There's no better conversation starter than showing up somewhere on a loaded bicycle, but it almost always starts the same conversation.

Q: Where are you coming from? Where are you going?
A: Coming from Massachusetts, going to Oregon.

Q: All by yourself?
A: Yes, all by myself. And I like it this way. I can do whatever I want.

Q: Why? Are you raising money for charity or something?
A: Wanted to see the country and I don't have a car.

Q: Aren't you scared? There are a lot of bad people out there.
A: Sometimes I get nervous, but everyone's really nice. I keep hearing about these bad people, but I haven't met them yet.

Q: How many miles do you go in a day?
A: It depends on weather, hills, and distances between towns, but I average around 60 miles a day.

Q: I couldn't ride a bike to the other side of town. Isn't it hard?
A: Never so hard that it isn't worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie,

We are the couple you rode with to the Badlands. We made it back to KC and was just wondering about how you were doing. We had a great time on our short vacation and saw some beautiiful sites. Our short encounter withyou was really one of the highlights of our trip. We have told many of our family and friends about your adventure and what a truley unique individule you are.
We have a couple of pictures we would be glad to forward to you if you will forward your e-mail adress.
Good luck and be safe,

Gary and Lania

Anonymous said...

Hey Maggie, (why can't I remember your nickname when I want it? Bear? or was that molly...something about crawling and how you tackled..)
anyway, i finally am home from my travels--at least until Saturday when I move to brooklyn--and thought I'd catch up on yours. Wish you were heading back East after that bicycling, but am sure you'll be able to impress all of the women in Portland with your stories. You just have to remember to act as if all of the questions are new. At least for the hotties!

take care, miss you.
zach